I shared with you two days ago our mood board for our new kitchen, so I thought it would be fun to share one for our mid-century inspired family room. We’re buying all new furniture for this room, so it seemed to necessitate a slightly different look than our first house. Our old family room tended towards darker colors and traditional lines, but with the new house we’re aiming for the cleaner lines of mid-century furniture and lighter colors (mostly white and gray with bright accents). I’ll admit that I am having a lot harder time pulling all the pieces together for this room than I did for the kitchen. I’m hoping once we move in and actually start decorating it will be a little easier to visualize it all. Our budget for the family room is pretty small in part because it’s getting redecorated at the same time that the kitchen is getting remodeled, so the high cost of actual mid-century furniture was definitely not in the budget. The board below also only encompasses the decor for the room and not the architectural details we plan on adding later (built in book shelves and wainscoting). The color scheme is gray with yellow and aqua accents.
- Kivik sofa in Tullinge gray-brown from Ikea. We’ve been dying for a sectional that the whole family can curl up on for years now. I’m loving the price of this one, so hopefully its as comfortable as it looks.
- Homespun Moroccan Trellis rug in Spa blue from Rugs USA. I’m having a really hard time picking a color for the rug, but I’m leaning towards a Moroccan pattern in either gray or blue.
- Reclaimed wood coffee table from Hudson Goods. Cody actually already built me a table very similar to this one. Good thing since this one has a $700 price tag!
- Greek Key console from Pinterest. I can’t find the owner of this lovely picture (someone please claim it!), but I originally saw it on Pinterest and I’m thinking of converting my dresser into a media console with this Greek key design.
- Oppss….double numbered the rug. My bad.
- Mellby chair in Eldris black/white from Ikea. I really wanted chairs with a bright bold pattern, but finding that in our price range has been challenging. This chair has a nice houndstooth pattern that can be punched up with bright pillows.
- Threshold Lamp shade Ombre pattern printed from Target. This lamp shade has both of my accent colors in it and is similar to the Ikat one I already own from Target.
- Striped curtains via Southern Living. I’m also having a really hard time deciding whether to do neutral curtains or a bright bold pattern. I was thinking of doing a DIY curtain similar to these with stripes.
- Chevron and anchor pillow from Joss & Main. Since most of the room is gray I really want to add bright pops of color with the pillows.
- Turquoise winged pig from Joss & Main. I also want to add a bunch of bright whimsical accessories like this pig.
So, do you think we successfully channeled Mad Men? What about the curtains? Do you think I should go neutral or bright?