It’s finally starting to get a little nippy out which means we’ve been itching to start a fire now that we finally have a house with a fireplace. We’re getting the chimney professionally cleaned this week which mean we’ll be good to go functionally, but we’re still working on making the fireplace ascetically pleasing as well. In Part 1 of the fireplace makeover we painted all the bookshelves and the fireplace surround a nice bright white.
But we still had to deal with all that dated brass. Honestly, I am not a fan of the doors at all. I really loved how it looked once we took them off; however, with little Lizzie getting into everything these days we decided that the doors were a safety precaution that we’d have to live with for now.
Since we’ve never had a fireplace before we also had no fireplace tools. I don’t know if you’ve purchased these recently but the cheap ones at Target are about $100! For those of you who follow me on Facebook you may remember that a couple of weeks ago I just happened to score this great brass set at a local thrift store for $6! But of course brass is what I was trying to get away from, so these needed a makeover too.
First, I removed the fireplace doors from the brick. It was rather easier than we had anticipated it just required laying in the fireplace to find the screws behind the doors. Next, I took everything that was being painted outside and cleaned them down with a paint prep* to remove any oil and residue that may have built up. The last step in prepping the doors was papering over the glass to prevent over spray from the paint.
* Links marked by an asterisk are affiliate links
It is finally time to start painting! Since the brass is so shiny I hit all the tools and doors with a coat of spray primer* first.
Once the primer was dry (about an hour) I applied a coat of Flat Black High Heat Spray Paint*. The key here is HIGH HEAT! You do not want your paint to melt off when you stick the poker in the fire. I did two light coats on everything. It only took 1 can to finish this project.
I choose a flat finish to imitate a wrought iron feel instead of a high gloss look. I was afraid of the paint chipping, so I let it cure for a couple of days before moving it back indoors and installing it. Here’s the finished look:
And a close-up of the new tools:
And here’s a reminder of where we started 3 months ago:
Update: The fireplace makeover is now complete!